Friday, January 8, 2010

Roberto Alomar Gets Spit On


I was looking at who made the Major League Baseball Hall of Fame and who didn't and I saw that Roberto Alomar was snubbed by the voters. Seeing this happen I was baffled on why such a highly decorated player is not a first ballot Hall of Famer. I asked was it his batting or fielding? Maybe he didn't have a great career average, so I looked up Roberto Alomar's career stats and accolades.
Roberto Alomar batted .300 for his career and elevated his play in the post season hitting .313. As a matter of fact almost everything increased in the post season. Roberto had a .371 on base percentage and this statistic rose up to .381 along with an on base plus slugging percentage rising from .814 to .824. Alomar played in 58 post season games and had 72 hits with 33 runs batted in.
Then I was wondering about his fielding. I thought Roberto Alomar couldn't have been a good infielder if he was snubbed so bad and again I looked at his fielding stats and realized he was a great infielder with an almost perfect .986 fielding percentage not to mention him winning ten American League Golden Gloves at second base and in his twelve seasons he only had 100 errors, that is astounding.
With seeing his incredible batting statistics, impeccable fielding percentages and his trophy case full of Golden Gloves and an ALCS MVP I only thought of one thing that could hold him back. In 1996 Roberto Alomar spit in the face of a MLB umpire John Hirschbeck after being ejected from a game. I believe this is the real reason Roberto Alomar was kept out off the first ballot in the Hall of Fame voting. This leads me to ask why? Roberto was elected to the Major League all-star game every year he was in the league and it is few players that can lay claim to that feat till this day.
That’s why I want to say allowing the fans to vote players into the hall is not a bad thing to do. The Hall of Fame is for the fans anyway and what better way to honor them and the players then by at least giving the fan a chance to give their input. These writers have their own hidden agendas and prejudices and that makes it difficult for players to reach the Hall of Fame at the time they should. I understand the Hall of Fame is a prestigious occasion, but there's a difference between keeping a player out of the hall for alleged doping and a mistake that was apologized and forgiven. Roberto Alomar is a sure lock for the Hall of Fame and shouldn't have gotten spit on like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment